A 27 years old female corps member was raped and killed in Imo state. Read full story.

A 27 years old female corps member was raped and killed in Imo state. Read full story.

Imo state Police command on 7th July, 2019 paraded one Chukwuemeka Eze for raping and murdering a 27-year-old corps member barely a week to her passing out parade. The suspect was paraded alongside 19 others, allegedly involved in various crimes ranging from kidnapping, armed robbery, murder and child-trafficking. 

Chukwuemeka Eze confessed to raping and murdering Lillian Ngbawa, who was deployed to Mgbidi, Oru West council area for her service year. He also led the police to the forest part where her body was recovered, after admitting taking her smart phone which eventually implicated him.

The Nigerian Police Force spokesperson, Frank Mba told newsmen that the suspects will be charged to court after investigation has been concluded. 

“I am at the Imo State Police Command at the instance of the Inspector-General of Police. Here is Chukwuemeka Eze, who murdered an ex-corps member, Lillian Mgbanwu, after raping her.

“On July 7, 2019, Eze, who pretended to be insane, took an android phone to the shop of one Ahamefule Onyeka for charging. Onyeka reported the development to the police in Oru West. This suspect was arrested and he confessed that he took away the ex-corps member’s phone after raping her to death.

“This development is pathetic and worrisome, but we promise that justice will be served” he said. 

Read further development on the story

The family of slain Lillian Mgbanwa is seeking justice after their daughter was raped and killed while serving in Imo state. The family suspect the case is about to be swept under the rug and they are speaking out.

27-year-old Lillian Mgbanwa, from Delta state, graduated from Nasarawa State Polythechnic. She was posted to Imo state for the compulsory 1 year National Youth Service Corps and passed out with the most recent batch in June, according to her uncle Chief Mike Mgbanwa and cousin Remmy Mgbanwa, who spoke to newsmen.

However, since she was posted to a school and it was the end of the term, the school asked corps members serving in their institution to remain till the end of the term so they can mark exam scripts and record. Lillian obliged.

On Saturday, June 29, Lilian went to visit a female friend. The friend wasn’t home and returned late, so Lilian called her roommate to inform her she wouldn’t return till the next day.

On Sunday morning, June 30, Lilian left her friend’s house at about 7 am to return home so she can prepare for church. Unfortunately, she was attacked on her way home, raped, and killed.

When she didn’t return, her worried friends kept calling her phone. By Monday, she didn’t show up at work and everyone who knew her became concerned, the deceased’s family told the press in an interview.

Meanwhile, suspect Chukwuemeka Eze, from Mgbidi in Oru West Local Government Area of the state, took the deceased’s phone to charge in a shop and left it there. A call then came in from a worried relative of Lillian’s and the shop keeper picked the call and explained that the phone was being charged in his shop.

Police soon arrived at the shop and the shop keeper directed them to Eze, who was promptly arrested. He initially denied but later confessed to the crime and led police to the scene where Lillian’s decomposing body was seen and retrieved on Wednesday, July 3, 2019.

Remmy Nwangwa told newsmen: “The body already decomposed to an extent her head was broken into two and half missing. Her private part already decomposed and irritated. Body already rotten. Only half of her head was left.”

Chukwuemeka Eze was detained and paraded.

However, family members of the deceased said things took a turn recently as it seems the police are now trying to make excuses for the suspect.

They told the press that they gathered this isn’t the first time Chukwuemeka Eze is being accused of murder. They said locals told them he has been arrested twice for murder and was later released both times. The second time, the case went to court but the family members of his victims were continually threatened and they didn’t follow through with the case. This meant that Eze was able to roam free again and had the opportunity to carry out another horrific attack.

Relatives of the deceased said they suspect Eze’s plan was to use Lillian for rituals. They told MEDIA that bags belonging to other women were found at the scene where Lillian’s body was dumped. They said this means there are other victims.

They claimed that the officers, who were initially treating Eze as a criminal, recently began saying he is mentally unstable. Later, the Mgbanwa family claimed, the police officers said the suspect is deaf and dumb. 

But the Mgbanwa family say they are not buying this because the suspect spoke clearly when he admitted to the murder and took them to the body.

The family of the deceased say they suspect a cover up and they are asking for justice to ensure that another family is not thrown into mourning because of Eze’s actions.

Speaking to MEDIA, Chief Mike Mgbanwa, the deceased’s Uncle, and Remmy Mgbanwa, the deceased’s cousin, said they do not want the police to sweep the case under the rug or give the suspect a lenient sentence under the guise that he is mentally unstable or deaf and dumb. They are asking that he be tried and justice served





1 month ago

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News
1 month ago
Please wait...

Be the First to get the latest.. Subscribe now

Want to be notified when our article is published? Enter your email address and name below to be the first to know.